Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sitting is the new smoking! What?


I recently read an article in Runners World about sitting all day at a desk and computer.  Even though you exercise daily, sitting most of the day can still lead to death and disease.  What, you mean there is MORE I need to do?  This describes me, I do move around some but I have a 2 hour commute every day and I do sit at a desk a lot.  I have noticed that my shoulders ache at the end of the day and I’m grumpy until I can complete my cardio workout.  It’s like my body is craving movement and physical activity.

I’ve come up with a plan to get me moving more throughout the day.  I take one of my Timex watches with me to work and set the interval timer to beep every 20 minutes.   When the watch beeps while I’m in the car and driving I stretch each arm and move my feet.  When the watch beeps while I’m typing at the computer I either get up and walk around my office 5 times while swinging and stretching my arms or I do wall push-ups and stretch. 

Now, this is a bit annoying at times.  Yes, it’s a pain to stop what you are doing and get up but I can really tell a difference.   I don’t feel like a caged animal and my shoulders are more relaxed.  My day also seems to go by faster.

 


 


So get MOVING!

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment