Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How to Kick Off and Stick with Your Training Plan, Pt2: Making a Plan of Attack!


Once your goal is specified you must make it a PRIORITY.  Working toward your goal becomes another part of your life, just like going to work or eating lunch.  Believe me, you can find time.  You may have to get up a little earlier or skip a TV show, but even 15 minutes can be beneficial.
 
Weekly Scheduling
First, examine your week and establish what days will work best for your work outs.  Take into consideration your job, commute, children, spouse, and weather.  Shorter workouts can easily be completed during the week and weekends can be reserved for longer workouts.  Once you have a good weekly schedule planned, it will be easier for training to become part of your routine.
 
Here’s my reasoning for establishing my workouts:

I work Monday – Friday from 7:30 to 3:30 and I have a 50 min drive each way to work.  Therefore, I plan shorter workouts during the week and longer workouts (1 hr+) on the weekends.

Daily Scheduling
Once you have determined which days to workout, think though your day and decide the best time of the day to work out.  Write down your schedule and determine if things/events can be shifted to create a block of time.  Also, decide what type of workout you want to complete (walking, running, strength training).  Take into consideration your workload for each day.  Do you usually have overly stressful Mondays full of staff meetings?  Do your children routinely have a ton of homework on Tuesdays?

Here’s how I had to think about my day:

I have to be at work at 7:30 a.m., I have a 50 minute drive to work, and I would have to fit in a shower if I did a cardio workout.  To get in an hour of cardio in the morning I would have to wake up around 4:30 a.m. and begin working out at 4:45 a.m.  It is still dark at that time and I do not like to run on a treadmill.  I would also be dehydrated and hungry!  Therefore, the morning is not a good time for me to complete a cardio workout.  However, my husband and I wanted to add strength training to our routine.  I don’t sweat when lifting weights at the gym and I don’t need to be as fully hydrated.  So lifting weights in the morning and doing cardio in the afternoon works for us.
 
Workout Gear
Decide the gear you need to complete your workout and pack it or lay it out the night before.  You might need shoes, socks, sportsbra, hair tie, sunglasses, watch, googles, swimsuit, towel, water bottle, nutrition.  This list could go on and on!  I have a different gear bag for each type workout (bike, swim, strength).
 
 So far we have planned:
·        The day of the workout
·        The time of the day for the workout
·        Workout gear for the workout

Obstacles
Sounds like you have a great plan going, but now we must think about obstacles.  For example, I like to work out as soon as I get home from work around 4:30 p.m.  But, right now (August) it is 105⁰  and hotter than Hades in Texas.  It would not be safe to run at that time, so I have to run about 7:00 p.m.  From 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. I do the household chores I would normally complete after my 4:30 p.m. workout.

Plan B
What are you going to do if all your plans go south?  You need a Plan B!  Things are going to come up, you are going to get sick, get held up in traffic, or have to take care of your children.  You must decide if you are going to skip the workout, postpone the workout, or do another alternate activity.

It’s not the end of the world if you miss a workout, but you must get back on track.  Also, it is OK to modify your training schedule to fit your lifestyle, but always try to make working toward your goal a priority.  A successful training plan is most effective when it is in balance with your life.  Try to set yourself up for success by planning and getting organized.  Organization may take more work up front, but it will take away some of the stress later on.  Planning and organization will also help your training become part of your normal routine.

Stay Tuned for Part 3:  Training and more training!

No comments:

Post a Comment