Friday, August 9, 2013

How to Kick Off and Stick with Your Training Plan Pt.1


I have submitted an article for review for The Endurance Council.  I hope that it gets posted to their website, but I thought I would include the article in my Blog too. Enjoy!

How to Kick Off and Stick with Your Training Plan

Part 1:  Setting a Training Goal

First, you REALLY need a concrete, measurable short-term goal.  I’ve heard so many people say, “I just want to lose weight and become healthy.”  While that is a wonderful goal, it is more of a lifestyle goal that is measured on the basis of long-term success.  Working toward a short-term, measurable goal will give you frequent feedback and reinforcement.  We all like to have our ego stroked, so why not give ourselves a pat on the back!

Here are some examples of good goals:

·        Complete a 5K.
·        Exercising (walking, jogging, zumba, crossfit) 3 days a week for 30 minutes.

Make sure your goal specifies that you complete an activity so that you have control.  I do not recommend your goal being based on weight loss.  Sure, that’s what we all want but sometimes it does not happen as fast as we would like.  Does that mean you are a failure?  NO!  Weight loss is a collateral benefit of accomplishing your goal. 

Make sure your goal is reasonable.  Yes, I would like to complete an Ironman, but I know that I will not be able to do that next week.  Recognize your current state of fitness and make practical goals that are easily attainable.  For example, if you currently do not exercise at all a suitable goal would be:  Walk for 30 minutes 3 times a week.  This goal may not seem to push you limits, but it IS attainable.  You goal should set you up for success!

Realize that goals can be adjusted and that it is OK!  You may be really ambitious with your goal or just not realize how hard training can be.  It is perfectly fine to adjust your goal.  If you currently do not exercise you may set your goal to run 1 mile, 5 times a week.  On the first attempt you only make it a block; you quit and go home dejected.  Instead of giving up, take a step back and adjust your goal, remember, set yourself up for success not failure.  It is YOUR goal; you can make it easier or more difficult anytime you please.

No goal is insignificant.  Do not be intimated by others, focus on your goal.  We runners love that others are training.  Because I live in a small rural community, I usually train alone.  I LOVE when I go to races and others are participating.  I love the runners, the walkers, the stroller pushers, and the dogs.  The more the merrier!

Set a goal and set yourself up for success!  

Stay tuned for Part 2:  Making a Plan of Attack

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment