Monday, August 5, 2013

RiverCities Triathlon Race Report – A lesson learned the hard way!


August 4, 2013
8:00 a.m.
Cypress Black Bayou, Benton, Louisiana
.5 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 5K run

I have heard great things about this triathlon, in fact, it sells out in April.  This race is held in a park that has camping sites and cabins available.  I got my parents to bring over their fifth wheel camper; I was so excited because they have never seen me race before.

Race morning
I have had some sinus drainage and I did not feel like eating or drinking a lot, but I forced a little food, coffee, and water down.  I was soooooooo nervous because my parents were there!

The Swim (22:31)
I’m not a great swimmer, but I felt like I had a good swim.  I didn’t have to sight that often because there were always people around me.  But I did get behind some groups and if I had sighted more I probably would have avoided some of the traffic.  My husband said that I swam pretty straight compared to others!  I was nervous because the men started right behind my age group, a few eventually passed me but it wasn’t as congested as I anticipated.

T1 (3:06)
I’m always somewhat disoriented after an open water swim.  My dad was standing beside the fence watching my transition, I couldn’t help but smile.  My rack was at the back so I had to run/walk my bike a long way before mounting.

The Bike (1:07:24)
I have heard people say that they loved this route so I thought it would be fairly flat.  Wrong!  There were more hills than I expected.  I was concentrating so hard that I did not take in enough fluids.  The fact that I still felt nauseous from the sinus drainage and swim didn’t help either.  Overall, I felt that I had a good bike.

T2 (1:41)
I had to run/walk my bike in a long way.  I have not mastered the flying mount and dismount, so I had to run a long way with my bike shoes.  I usually have a good T2. 

The Run (32:45)
OK, so this is usually where I smoke it and make up a lot of time.  As I left T2 I felt great but before I got through the first mile I had to stop and walk.  I could not believe it, I was in shock!  My side hurt so bad, I was nauseous, in fact, I thought I had appendicitis.  I had to run/walk through the whole 5K and I got 2 cups of water at each aid station. 

Post Race (Total time: 2:07:11)
Totally disappointed, embarrassed and practically in tears.  I did hold it together until my parents left, but then the waterworks started.  I was so mad at myself; I knew exactly what had happened.  I didn’t respect the heat.  I have never felt this way during a race, but then again all my long distance events have been in the spring and fall.  I think that I learned my lesson, and there is a certain long distance event I’m contemplating next May.

Next Day
Overall, I had a great weekend!  My husband and parents got to see me compete in a triathlon.  My husband said that my parents were very interested during the race and asked lots of questions.  I think that my dad would be a really good coach for me!  My dad told me that even Tony Romo has a bad day!  Yes, we are Dallas Cowboy fans! J

I also volunteered for the Ironfish Kids Triathlon on Saturday.  It was so cool to see kids competing.

My next tri is September 14 at Tyler.  This was my first tri last year, so it will be interesting to compare my results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment