Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ironman Recognition – Rock Star Moment

When I tell people that I’ve completed an Ironman (which I never do unless it comes up in conversation) they kinda give a funny look and say, “What’s that?”  Then, once I explain what it is, they get a look of horror on their face and ask, “Are you crazy?”

At work I wear an IM lanyard with my keys and ID badge around my neck.  I had a meeting and the person I was meeting with instantly asked, “You did an Ironman?”  My chest instantly puffed out and I sat up a little taller and replied, “Yes I completed IMTX last year and I’m training for IMTX this year!”  She replied, “Wow!  My husband will be so excited to know that I’ve talked to a real Ironman!”  Of course, I tried to be humble and downplay the fact that I was indeed an Ironman but inside I was stoked!!! 

Come to find out, her husband is a triathlete.  We continued to talk about triathlons in general for a few more minutes.  The whole conversation lasted about 2-3 minutes but it has had lasting effects.  In my day-to-day activities, especially at work, I don’t have time to think about training and I forget that I’m an Ironman.  When she brought it up out of the blue I felt like a rock star!  It totally made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment