Monday, January 26, 2015

My Spectating Experience

Last week I worked very hard to cram all my workouts in so that I could take a trip to New Orleans with my best friend to watch my friend/runner complete his first marathon.  This was my second time being a spectator.  I was so excited and I can’t believe that I don’t spectate more.  I always decide to race too, which seems like I’m not being supportive.  But my thoughts are, why waste a trip and not get in a workout?  I hope all my friends and family understand.

I got up early Saturday morning to run before we headed to New Orleans.  I was very excited.  The day before, I was OK with not running the race.  I was happy that I could eat and drink whatever I wanted.  I also didn’t have to worry about staying off my feet and resting (well I did kinda have to worry, but not that much J)  Heck, I was even happy the morning of the race.  I didn’t have to wake up early and eat breakfast.  It was cold and windy, I was especially happy that I was all bundled up in my warm clothes.  I was even OK when the race started; I got to go to Starbucks! 

But as the race progressed and we watched and cheered the runners I started to get a little jealous.  Then, when we went to the finish line I was downright envious.  I wanted that joy of running down the finishing shoot and crossing the finish line.  Then, I saw the runners with their finisher jackets.  They said, “Rock N’ Roll Marathon Finisher” on the back.  This nearly pushed me over the edge!  I couldn’t even think about it (happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts).  I WANTED one of those jackets and I wished I would have run the marathon!  Crazy, right?

I’m so excited for my friend, he ran an awesome race.  But I’ve learned that spectating is an emotional roller coaster.  I now have a greater appreciation for my friends and family who come to races to support me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment