Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Who Let The Dogs Out?! - Chased by Dogs on Bike


I recently posted a thread on Slowtwitch about recommendations for pepper spray because I have several dogs that run at me and scare me while I have been doing my long bike rides.  Let’s just say this proved to be a very interesting topic for the slowtwitchers!


My solution:  I ordered a dog dazer from Amazon.  This is a battery operated device that emits a pitch noise that only the dogs can hear.  It does not harm the dogs, it just gets their attention.  I haven’t gotten to use it on my bike yet (the weather has been horrid) but I did use it when my mother and I were going door to door working on her campaign.  It worked like a charm; I pressed the button and gave the dogs a firm, “Back” command.  We did not feel threatened at all.
 
I know that this is not the perfect solution and it’s offensive to some.  However, I have had a dog that that bit someone before and I would have rather them used this device and not got bitten.





No comments:

Post a Comment