Monday, November 18, 2013

2014 Logjammer Half-Marathon Race Report


 
I raced this race last year as part of my training for an early December marathon.  I actually ran 4 miles before the race and 4 miles after the race, so my time wasn’t that fast.  Last year the weather was perfect, 40-50 degrees, sunny, and no wind.

This year, I have started a pre-Ironman training program and my longest run since February has been 7 miles.  I was hoping for a PR just because the course is flat and I was well rested, but I wasn’t going to be heartbroken it didn’t happen.  The weather was terrible; it was hot, humid, and windy so I ditched my PR aspirations around mile 6.  I didn’t take my own fluids and all I had was a gel.  There was a lack of water stations between mile 3 and 7.  I drank water/powerade at every station, I even drank 2 cups at mile 7, but the last 2 miles my feet and calves started to cramp.  I couldn’t get up on my toes to accelerate so I finished with a kinda shuffle run.  I stayed in the finishing area about 5 mins because my left foot was cramping.  I drank water, chocolate milk, and some Coca-Cola and I didn’t catch anymore cramps for the rest of the day.

I did run my second best time ever!  I ran a 1:51:05, that’s an average of 8:28 min/mile.  I placed 1st in my age group out of 36 runners age 30-34.  I placed 53rd overall out or 440 runners.  I’m very pleased with my performance, and I’ve learned more about nutrition and fluid consumption in hot and humid conditions.  This knowledge will come in handy during IM training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment