Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ready for Hibernation Season


I’m ready for the cold weather, not only to escape working out in oven-like temperatures, but to get rid of the rattlesnakes, at least for a while.   Yes, I said RATTLESNAKE!  For the last month, once a week a different rattlesnake has been spotted in the road in front of my house.  I can only hope they were heading for cover and getting ready for hibernation.  The road in front of my house an oil road (it looks like black pavement) and the light brown snakes are seen easily.  However, what’s scary is the fact that when they slither off into the grass/bushes they are undetectable.   Their camouflage is soooooo good.  I almost always run on dirt roads that have grass/bushes on the sides and I am constantly on the watch for snakes.  I love, love, love running in the cold weather!  The colder, the better!  Running outdoors in East Texas during the late spring/summer/early fall can be compared to running in a 450 degree oven.  Not only is it hot, it is usually humid.  If it’s humid, then it’s like running in a sauna.   My times get slower and my mental tank is drained by the end of the summer.  Now, I now have another reason to appreciate the cold, snake hibernation!  I know that my times could be faster if I wasn’t concentrating on snakes! (Wink, wink)  I think me and the snakes could work out a deal, I hibernate during the hot season and they hibernate during the cold season.

No comments:

Post a Comment