Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pineywoods Purgatory Bike Ride


I completed the 51 mile bike ride of the Pineywoods Purgatory in Lufkin, TX a few weekends ago!  Before this ride the furthest I had ever ridden was 25 miles.  I have not trained for 51 miles but I decided to give it a tri, after all, I didn’t have to swim before the ride or run afterwards!  There were some major hills but I was fine until mile 30.  At mile 30 the road got really bumpy and I had a sugar low.  I decided to eat some snacks and drink Gatorade.  I also decided to mentally break the rest of the ride into segments.  I concentrated on the next 5 miles and this helped the last 21 miles fly by. 

When I finally rolled in to the finish all I could think about was a cold Coca-Cola and I could already tell that I was going to be sore in places I didn’t even know I had.  My time for the ride was 3:34:45 and I didn’t stop at any of the rest stops.  I wanted to use this ride as a buildup to Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Texas.    This ride defiantly helped my confidence and I can’t wait until I get to complete another long, challenging ride!

Overall, this was a great event.  The ride seemed well organized and the scenery was beautiful.  Some of the roads were a little bumpy, but this is understandable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment