Friday, March 27, 2015

State if Training – My 2nd Month of Ironman Training

As we go into another recovery week my coach asked us to send her a “State of Training” email so I thought I would include my thoughts and feelings here too.

Swim:  I fell stronger than I did last year and my form is better.  Last year I lucked out and the swim at IMTX was wet suit legal.  Wearing a wetsuit makes me faster so I’m not sure if my swim time will be faster this year.  But overall, I’m more confident in the water.

Bike:  This was my weakest discipline last year so I’ve worked very hard on the bike of the last year.  Overall, I’m stronger and more powerful.  I also got a new bike and a great bike fit.  I’m more comfortable so I can ride longer faster.  My only concern is taking in enough fluids and nutrition.  When I work out I do not want to eat.  I’ve been trying different things and I’m starting to feel better about my nutrition. 

Run:  Traditionally, this has been my best discipline and when I only have to run it’s still my strongest.  However, running a marathon after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles is another story altogether.  There are aid stations every mile on the run and we have to run a 3 loop course.  Last year I walked most of the 1st lap, ran most of the 2nd lap, and ran about half of the 3rd lap.  This year, I must stay focused and try to run as much as I can to each aid station.

Overall:  Physically and mentally I’m stronger.  I’m more confident and better prepared.  But, at times I’m starting to get cranky.  I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining but training is so time consuming.  Sometimes, I really have to keep myself in check.  I try to focus on how I feel when I cross the finish line and Mike Reilly proclaims, “You are an Ironman!”

No comments:

Post a Comment