Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Longview Half Marathon Race Report


This wasn’t a key race for me and I treated it like a training run for Ironman training.  I was tired from the trip to Plano and the hard week of workouts so I wasn’t expecting to set any records.  I also had to do an 80 mile bike ride and 25 minute brick run on Sunday, the day after the race.  Last year I went out really fast and it caught up with me on the second half of the course.  This year I kept a more consistent pace.  While this was by far not my fastest time I’m very pleased with my performance.  Overall, I’m just so much stronger.  I would have never thought that an 8:20 pace would feel so easy!  I ran this race last year and while the course was good it wasn’t great.  This year the course was better.  There weren’t a lot of turns and there were some nice rolling hills.  This race help raise funds for AMBUCS.  I highly recommend adding this race to your calendar for 2016!

Here’s some information about AMBUCS from the Longview Half Marathon website:

AMBUCS (American Business Clubs) is a national service organization composed of a diverse group of men and women dedicated to creating independence and opportunities for people with disabilities.  

This goal is achieved through various projects; three of the main projects of the Longview chapter are: 1) Scholarships for Therapists program which is the largest single private source of educational grants for therapists in the United States, 2) Wheel Chair Ramps; Longview AMBUCS built 22 ramps last year for disabled individuals who qualified, and 3) the biggest of all ; The AMTRYKE which is a unique therapeutic tricycle that can be hand and/or foot driven.  Therapists acknowledge its therapeutic benefits, citing improved motor skills and strength development.  

 AMBUCS chapters raise funds to provide AmTryke tricycles and handicapped access ramps free to individuals who qualify, plus provide scholarships to promising physical and occupational therapy students.  100% of the money raised by AMBUCS is returned to the community through these projects.   

Longview AMBUCS, is one of the most active local clubs in the country.  Last year alone Longview AMBUCS gave away $26,000 in scholarships to local students and gave away 146 AmTrykes in addition to the 22 handicapped access ramps built. 

 The first AmTryke was designed and built by the Longview AMBUCS in 1989, and Longview is nationally known as "the home of the AmTryke." 

For more information, go to www.longviewambucs.com

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment