Friday, October 24, 2014

My 1st Half Marathon

I’m running the East Texas Half Marathon in November and I can’t help but reminisce about my first half- marathon.  I believe I ran my first half marathon in the fall of 2008.  I picked the Louisiana Trials Half-Marathon because it was close to home, I could drive myself and not have to bother my family.  I thought that because I ran on dirt roads that I was ready for the challenge.  Boy, was I shocked about half way through, I could barely run.  I was freaking out, what had I gotten myself into?  I found out the hard way that true trial runs are a different kind of beast.  I hadn’t ever even ran 13.1 miles especially not up and down creeks and through the forest.  Initially my goal was to run the entire time but I quickly realized that there was something more important that running the whole time.  My new goal was to not trip on a tree root and to finish this experience unscathed.  Mission accomplished, I finally finished!  Then, I had to drive home and I was tired and starting to get stiff.  By that night, I couldn’t even walk! 

I vowed to give up long distance running forever!  The next year I ran the same race again and then in the spring of 2010 I ran regular half-marathon.  I ran the Davy Crockett Bear Chase Half Marathon in Groveton, TX and it was a walk in the park compared to my first 2 half marathons.  I believe that having a terribly difficult and shocking first long distance running experience helped make me tough.  I have gone back to those trails a few times to run shorter distances and I do enjoy it but it is still a shock to the system.  Overall, my trail running experience has been a success; I’ve only tripped and fallen once.  Luckily, it was cold and I had on pants and I came out unharmed. 
Here’s a pic from my first half marathon.  Needless to say it was taken at the beginning of the race, I still look fresh.  Trust me, I did not look like at the finish.  The fall foliage was beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment