Thursday, November 27, 2014

My 1st Professional Bike Fit


I’ve always known that I needed to get a professional bike fit but I’ve just never got around to it.  In September while I was at the Rose City Tri in Tyler I happened upon Tri Shop’s booth.  I was really intrigued by the Retul method and I decided to set up an appointment for Thanksgiving Break.  Tri Shop is located in Plano, TX so I knew this would be a day long trip.  My grandmother’s cousin lives nearby so she decided to tag along to shop and visit.

 We arrived about 30 minutes before my 12:00 p.m. appointment but they were ready to get started.  I was shocked that Trent, the bike fitter was from Mt. Enterprise and we knew some of the same people!  We started by testing my flexibility and core strength.  Then, he looked at my feet and he looked at me while I walked.  I discovered I walked slightly pigeon toed on my right side because I have Morton’s toe (my 2nd toe is longer than my big tow) on my right foot.  This explains a lot (I have been concentrating on running straight).

My main concerns going in were:  upper body comfort and getting faster.  I felt hunched over and when I got off the bike to run my chest felt constricted.  Trent also assessed my cleat position on my bike shoes.  My cleats had to be moved all the way back. 

Next, I hopped on the bike and warmed up for 8-10 minutes.  Trent assumed that I had gotten a fit before based on my saddle height and position.  He was surprised when I told him that I had looked at the pros and tinkered with my seat height and saddle position myself.  Although I thought I had my saddle position down pretty good I still felt like I was hunched over.  Well, I was right but I had no clue how to fix it.  Trent changed my stem (part that holds the handle bars on the bike) to a longer one and lowered by aerobars by 3 cm.  After these adjustments I felt instant relief, my chest opened up and my shoulders were relaxed. 

Overall, I was very impressed with Tri Shop’s knowledge and skills.  I’m looking forward to going back this spring when I buy a new bike (hopefully)!

Before picture

After picture
More pics




 

No comments:

Post a Comment