Thursday, July 2, 2015

2015 Sunrise #3 Race Report


I love this race series.  They are small, low key, and everyone is really nice.  This was also my first race after IMTX last year so I was excited to compare results. 
 
Pre-Race Week
I started strength training on Monday and I was really sore all week.  I still managed to get most of my workouts completed.  Deep down inside I was nervous about this race.
 
Race Day
I met my friends, Andrea and Christina, at 5:15 a.m. We visited during the 1 hour 15 minute drive and they helped me take my mind off the race.  This race has a pool swim so Suzie, a friend and NET athlete, and I go in a good warm up swim.  I was so tight after the warm up and I felt tired.
 
Swim – 450 yard
Suzie and I started in the perfect place, we didn’t pass anyone and we didn’t get passed.  I had a great swim; I was calm and relaxed the entire time.  My time was about 1 minute faster than last year.  T1 was also very fast and I decided to go sockless.
 
Bike – 15 miles
Last year my cycling improved tremendously and I often over biked during races.  Therefore, my run suffered.  On my last visit to The TriShop in Plano, TX my bike fitter told me, “You know a triathlon is really a runner’s race with a swim and bike before.”  So this year I have decided to hold back on the bike and focus on the run.
 
Last year at this race I averaged 18.0 mph and I pushed hard.  I was thinking, “Man 15 miles is nothing compared to 112 miles!”  This year I had a great bike, I didn’t every feel uncomfortable or like I was pushing too hard.  I averaged 18.3 mph and it felt good! I made sure I took in enough Powerbar Perform.  My T2 time was great and I couldn’t wait to get out on the run course.
 
Run – 5K
OK, this is where my race fell apart last year.  I was reduced to walking and I was miserable.  My average pace was 8:47 min/mile.  Well, that was not the case this year.  I felt great and I didn’t have to stop.  I concentrated on keeping a high cadence and running relaxed.  My average pace was 8:11 min/mile.  I wore new shoes without socks and I didn’t even get a blister.
 
Overall – 1:26:04
I won my age-group but more importantly my time was 4 minutes faster than last year!  I had a great race and I was so happy to get to share the experience with my friends.
 
My determination and hard work paid off and I’m excited to see more improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment